I’ve reached a point where I have no idea what this blog’s identity is, really, other than that I like to write about certain things (in particular, film, television, pop-culture, and women’s issues) but sometimes I prefer to write about what’s going on in my life. And when I write about myself, it’s usually because whatever I’m saying I believe is relatable to someone, somewhere out there (like moving away from home or breaking out of a creative rut).
But how interesting can it be to read about someone who you don’t really know? By simply reading what I write, you get a small portion of me, but the interaction isn’t necessarily as engaging as it could be.
So I guess what I’m saying is, why would you want to read about what I have to say on a number of topics if you know very little about me?
And that’s where this post comes in.
Here are 50 facts about me. Let me know if anything resonates with your likes, dislikes, and experiences.
1. I’m 24 years old.
2. My birthday is on Cinco de Mayo.
3. I was born and raised in Tucson, AZ, and I live in Los Angeles, CA.
4. My favorite color is blue, although I have an affinity for wearing orange and red.
5. I’m pretty tall. 5’11” to be exact.
6. I have a younger sister who is my favorite gal in the whole wide world.
7. I LOVE DOGS! I couldn’t imagine a world without dogs.
8. I would consider myself to be a cinephile, but certainly not a movie buff. Give me ten more years guys.
9. I’m not a fan of bullshit and ass-kissing.
10. The first band I was ever obsessed with was The Beatles! Abbey Road was my first CD, which my mom gave me for Valentine’s Day when I was seven.
11. In middle school I was nerdy, but somehow still kind of popular. In 8th grade I was vice president of my middle school, first chair violinist, president of band and orchestra, and was voted most likely to succeed. Now that I think about it, I might have peaked in middle school.
12. Although I consider myself to be an extrovert most of the time, I’m also shy and like keeping to myself sometimes.
13. I hate condescension and ignorance.
14. When my sister and I are in public together, we are often asked if we’re twins. What I don’t get is why people keep asking. What if we are? What then?
15. My two favorite reality shows are Vanderpump Rules and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, but now that I’m living in LA without cable, I don’t really get to watch them anymore. Oh well, it’s such a guilty pleasure anyways.
16. I feel truly lucky to have grown up in the desert. It’s such a strange and stunning place.
17. As far as films go, my taste is all over the place. I’m into artsy stuff, foreign films, B-movies, New Hollywood, and I’m also down for a goofy Will Ferrell comedy or feel good 80’s movie.
18. I love living in Los Angeles. I’m a west coast kinda gal, without a doubt.
19. I’ve been a vegetarian for almost a decade and recently became vegan.
20. Spending time outdoors is one of my favorite things to do to relieve stress and feel free, but I don’t get outside nearly as often as I’d like to.
21. The first movie I ever owned was Singing in the Rain, which my grandma gave me for my 6th birthday.
22. I’ve always loathed cooking, and am naturally no good at it, but since becoming vegan something has changed. Now I actually have fun looking through cookbooks (Thug Kitchen is awesome) checking out recipes online (FabLunch recipes are delicious and practical) and enjoy getting to work in the kitchen.
23. I have high standards about a lot of things; in particular, how friends and family should treat each other, and how we should all treat the environment.
24. I consider myself to be an environmentalist.
25. I’m not a perfectionist, but I truly enjoy working hard to make something great – at least if what I’m working on is fulfilling.
26. Some of my favorite foods include hummus, beans, avocados, and nearly all fruit. I seriously love food. I’m the kind of gal that licks her plate if no one’s watching (and sometimes when people are).
27. If I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be bean burritos.
28. My last name is Dutch and means “from Valkenburgh” (a town in the Netherlands) although for the record, I’m practically not Dutch at all.
29. Some of my opinions and ideas would be considered relatively radical by mainstream American standards, but I feel like they’re fairly common sense. Let’s just say I lean pretty far to the left and think of myself as a progressive.
30. I’m a fierce feminist.
31. I went to the University of Arizona for Film & Television Production. I’m a proud Arizona Wildcat! Bear Down!
32. I’m attending graduate school at the University of Southern California for Cinema & Media Studies, so I’m a Trojan now too. Fight on!
33. Decorating is one of my hobbies – I can’t wait to own a home and fill it with furniture and art and love. I’m particularly interested in finding used furniture and then refashioning it to fit my style/needs.
34. I was always open to the idea of dating lots of people before committing to a long-term relationship, but I’ve been with my boyfriend for six years now. Hey if it works, it works!
35. When I was younger I felt like I should have been coming into my own around the late 60’s/early 70’s. Creatively, it was such a spectacular era, but I’ve come to realize what a tumultuous time it was and I’m okay with the fact that I’m alive now. I also don’t know if I could have handled that Mad Men status misogyny!
36. I sincerely hope to make the world a better place in some way, shape, or form.
37. I have a general idea of what I’d like to accomplish in my life, but I’m still a little lost.
38. My absolute favorite hot sauce is CHOLULA, followed by SRIRACHA!
39. During college I had a number of jobs, including working at a Vietnamese restaurant and as a student brand manager for Red Bull.
40. If I could own any car in the world it would be a Tesla. They are so damn sharp-looking, and good for the environment too!
41. A few of my favorite films include Raging Bull, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 8 1/2, and 2001: A Space Odyssey – though there are so many that I love! Anchorman is a personal favorite also.
42. I took Spanish in middle school and high school, and got to the point where I once dreamt in Spanish, but I stopped taking classes and lost nearly all of it. That’s one decision I made that I totally regret.
43. I really love coffee and drink it just about every day.
44. I’m highly opinionated when it comes to a lot of things, but only if I’m knowledgeable about that topic. Otherwise, I try to keep my mouth shut and listen to those who know what they’re talking about!
45. SOUR CANDY IS THE BEST KIND OF CANDY!
46. When I was younger I wanted to grow up to be a hippie.
47. I have a lot of nightmares. To the people who say “You can never die in your dreams” or “if you’re falling in your dream, you’ll never hit the ground” – they are WRONG!
48. I have a love-hate relationship with social media and the internet.
49. I don’t get sprinkles. Why do people love putting sprinkles on ice cream? They taste like nothing.
50. My lifelong dream is to have dogs, chickens, pot belly pigs, bunnies, and a few other creatures, all in a lush and giant backyard/mini-ranch. I’m allergic to cats, but I’d certainly welcome a few ranch cats too.
So what about you? I’d love to know more!